The Bengals collectively ran well against their best competition to date at the Bozeman XC Invite on Saturday, Sept. 14 at Bridger Creek Golf Course.
In varsity competition, sophomore Kylie Hartnett ran to a second place finish to lead the Bengals to third place behind perennial power Bozeman and reigning AA champion Hellgate.
Hartnett ran at the front of the pack for the duration of a race and finished in 18:36. She was followed by a strong performance from sophomore Rylie Schoenfeld in 16th place (20:36), sophomore Odessa Zentz in 26th (21:03), sophomore Carly Ryan in 34th (21:19), sophomore Kylee Wetzel in 43rd (21:32) and senior Alyssa Plant in 56th (21:55).
On the boys side, junior Trystan Brewer led the team for the first time with a time of 16:46 in 14th place as the Bengals placed fifth. Hellgate claimed the championship and was followed by Bozeman, Sheridan and West.
Senior Jonah Fisher followed in 19th (17:06), senior Clayton Ryerson finished in 36th (17:38), senior Sam Sullivan was 42nd (17:47) and senior Kaden Jenkins rounded out the team’s scoring as fifth runner across the line in 78th (18:37). Junior Dallin Christensen wasn’t too far behind Jenkins in 82nd (18:41).
In the JV division, Helena’s girls placed second behind Bozeman and edging out Hellgate, while the Bengal boys were third behind Bozeman and Hellgate.
Freshman Lexi Erdahl led a strong pack of four Helena girls in the top 15 as she placed 9th in 23:04 and was immediately followed across the line by sophomore Breanna Brewer in 10th (23:14), sophomore Olivia Huber in 11th (23:23) and senior Jordynn Greve in 12th (23:24). Junior Katelyn Hamill was Helena’s fifth scorer in 30th with a time of 24:30.
Here’s a rundown of Helena’s remaining JV runners in the girls division.
- 36. Tatum McNamara, senior, 24:40.89
- 44. Naomi Sweeney, sophomore, 24:46.17
- 63. Maddy Murgel, junior, 25:18.46
- 71. Olivia Coburn, junior, 25:42.32
- 86. Chloe Roberts, sophomore, 26:19.33
- 93. Laurel Maronick, sophomore, 26:31.26
- 94. Hannah Romney, sophomore, 26:31.38
- 96. Claire Downing, junior, 26:39.26
- 105. Erin Grossman, sophomore, 27:04.10
- 108. Haily Tolman, sophomore, 27:08.13
- 118. Riley Thennis, senior, 27:26.80
- 121. Robin Triem, sophomore, 27:32.50
- 143. Eva Cobb, freshman, 28:48.84
- 147. Eva Santos, sophomore, 28:52.44
On the boys side, junior Robert Wagner led the squad across the line in fourth place for the second straight week with a time of 18:26. He was closely followed by junior Ethan Nelson in eighth (18:37). Senior Nick Pida finished 17th in 19:07, senior Roy Rindal was 21st (19:15) and freshman Adam Ryland-Davis was Helena’s fifth runner in 19:59.
Here’s a rundown of Helena’s remaining JV runners in the boys division:
- 45. Mason Roush, freshman, 20:06.41
- 107. Taylor Parisot, freshman, 21:39.40
- 111. Evan Stefaniak, sophomore, 21:44.22
- 153. Kyle Markovics, senior, 22:34.87
- 172. Foster Smith, freshman, 23:20.22
- 210. Spencer Jackson, senior, 24:42.79
Next up for the Bengals is a preview of the state meet course on Friday, Sept. 20 at Eagle Hills Golf Course in Great Falls.